This week's Stripes Kanto (February 13th edition) includes an article about the Suica and Pasmo cards. If you don't have a printed copy handy, here is the link, but it's not an edition-specific URL, so it will only display the latest edition.
It is a good overview of the cards and their uses, but I belive the information about the SUICA pass needs some clarification. It works on the private rail lines just as you would use a PASMO card. I purchased my SUICA card in Yokohama close to a year and a half ago, and I use it all over the local area and Tokyo subways. They are accepted on the buses too.
For more information, see the Wikipedia entries for PASMO and SUICA. (Tip: these Wiki pages contain many links to local rail information.)
A "Stripes Kanto" link (including all Pacific region Stripes weeklies) is conveniently located on this blog under the News and Information heading.