Saturday, February 28, 2009

Yokohama Visitors' Guide

I found another great site to add to my "Japan" links.

Yokohama Visitors' Guide is overflowing with useful information, especially for us day travellers who want to know where the malls are - er, I mean places of cultural significance.

On the subject of malls... if you click on the Attractions tab on the home page, you'll see that Yokohama is further categorized into specific regions. This is the where it gets fun. Click on an individual area, and the page will display an interactive map marked with important locations. Click on a shopping mall, for example, and you will be transported down the page to information about the mall, including a description of what is sold therein.

If that isn't enough, the site also has a fantastic web camera link on the home page. These are live images! You can select different viewing areas with the scroll bar, or choose from presets. After dark, set it for minatomirai (click "Start Control" to see the drop-down menu), and watch the ferris wheel light up, along with all the blinking lights on Landmark Tower and other large buildings. Oooh, I'm now watching one of those cruise boats with all the white lights. With the scroll bar I am following it. Neat! I sure wish I had found this website sooner. When the July fireworks (port anniversary festivities) take place, I think I'll enjoy them... from the camera, ha.